DODDS BROWN LLP: PRIVACY NOTICE
Dodds Brown LLP is a company registered in England and Wales (referred to as “Dodds Brown LLP”, "we" or "us" in this Notice).
Maintaining the security of your data is a priority at DODDS BROWN LLP, and we are committed to respecting your privacy rights. We pledge to handle your data fairly and legally at all times. DODDS BROWN LLP is also dedicated to being transparent about what data we collect about you and how we use it.
This Notice, which applies whether you are a Client, Tenant, Supplier, Contractor or simply interested in the services and products of Dodds Brown LLP and provides you with information about:
- how we use your data;
- what personal data we collect;
- how we ensure your privacy is maintained; and
- your legal rights relating to your personal data.
HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
DODDS BROWN LLP (and trusted partners acting on our behalf) uses your personal data:
- to provide goods and services to you;
- to make a tailored website available to you;
- to manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- to verify your identity;
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- with your agreement, to contact you electronically about products and services which we think may interest you;
- where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
Marketing & Promotional communications
DODDS BROWN LLP uses your personal data for electronic marketing purposes (with your consent) and may send you postal mail to update you on the latest DODDS BROWN LLP commercial instructions, industry awards and recognition, commercial property launches and local newsworthy commercial links and stories relevant to the geographic areas of Teesside, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Stockton on Tees, Durham and the wider surrounding areas.
DODDS BROWN LLP also aims to update you about products & services it provides which are of interest and relevance to you.
You have the right to opt out of receiving promotional communications at any time, by:
1. making use of the simple “unsubscribe” link in emails and
2. contacting DODDS BROWN LLP via the contact channels set out in this Notice.
Sharing data with third parties
Our service providers and suppliers
In order to make certain services available to you, we may need to share your data with some of our service partners. These include IT, Suppliers, Contractors (ie electricians, plumbers, security & alarm services etc) and marketing service providers.
DODDS BROWN LLP only allows its service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls. We also impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean they can only use your data to provide services to DODDS BROWN LLP and to you, and for no other purposes.
Other third parties
Aside from our service providers, DODDS BROWN LLP will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
We may share your data with:
- governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so: -
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases);
- for the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- for the protection of our employees and customers.
Third parties, to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice.
We do not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
How long do we keep your data?
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. Different retention periods apply for different types of data, however the longest we will normally hold any personal data is *6 years (please note that the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) recommends that data should be held for 15 years should it be required in relation to any future legal challenges and we await clarification on this point).
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
DODDS BROWN LLP may collect the following information about you:
- your name
- your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- your on-line browsing activity on DODDS BROWN LLP website;
- your communication and marketing preferences;
- your location;
- your correspondence and communications with DODDS BROWN LLP; and
- other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page).
Our website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Notice. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you request property particulars or promotional details via our website, or send an email to our email@example.com.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
DODDS BROWN LLP is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Our security measures include: -
- encryption of data;
- regular cyber security assessments of all service providers who may handle your personal data;
- security controls which protect the entire DODDS BROWN LLP IT infrastructure from external attack and unauthorised access; and
- internal policies setting out our data security approach and training for employees.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PROTECT YOUR DATA
DODDS BROWN LLP will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit card details via email. If you receive an email claiming to be from DODDS BROWN LLP asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
If you are using a computing device in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session.
In addition, we recommend that you take the following security measures to enhance your online safety both in relation to DODDS BROWN LLP and more generally: -
- keep your account passwords private. Remember, anybody who knows your password may access your account.
- when creating a password, use at least 8 characters. A combination of letters and numbers is best. Do not use dictionary words, your name, email address, or other personal data that can be easily obtained. We also recommend that you frequently change your password. You can do this accessing your account, clicking ‘your account’, clicking ‘your data’ and selecting ‘change password’.
- avoid using the same password for multiple online accounts.
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time, subject to a fee specified by law (currently £10);
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge;
- (as set out above) the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you; and
- the right to have your personal data removed from our systems if there is no longer a need or legal requirement for it to be stored.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
Legal basis for DODDS BROWN LLP processing customer personal data
DODDS BROWN LLP collects and uses Client/Tenant/Supplier/Contractor data because is it necessary for:
- the pursuit of our legitimate interests (as set out below);
- the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the provision of services to a Client/Tenant/Supplier; or
- complying with our legal obligations.
In general, we only rely on consent as a legal basis for processing in relation to sending direct marketing communications to interested parties via email or text message.
Clients/Tenants/Suppliers/Contractors have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
Our legitimate interests
The normal legal basis for processing customer data, is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of DODDS BROWN LLP, including:-
- selling and provision of services to our Clients/Tenants/Suppliers/Contractors, etc;
- protecting Clients, Tenants, Suppliers, Contractors, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare;
- promoting, marketing and advertising our services;
- sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to individual Clients, Tenants, Suppliers, Contractors etc;
- understanding our customers’ behaviour, activities, preferences, and needs;
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies;
- handling Client, Tenant, Supplier, Contractor contacts, queries, complaints or disputes;
- managing insurance claims;
- protecting DODDS BROWN LLP, its employees, Clients, Tenants, Supplier, Contractors etc, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts or are in breach of legal obligations to DODDS BROWN LLP;
- effectively handling any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against DODDS BROWN LLP; and
- fulfilling our duties to our Clients, Tenants, Suppliers and colleagues.
If you have any questions about how DODDS BROWN LLP uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights regarding your personal data, please contact us by any of the following means:
- phone us on: 01642 244 130;
- e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- write to us at: Dodds Brown LLP, 12-14 Albert Road, Middlesbrough TS1 1QA
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk.
This Notice was last updated in May 2018.